Smoked Honey Mustard Ham and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
As the weather starts to cool down, there’s nothing quite like a hearty meal to warm you up from the inside out. And what’s more comforting than a classic ham and mashed potatoes dish? But why settle for a plain and boring recipe when you can kick things up a notch with this Smoked Honey Mustard Ham and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy recipe?
This recipe takes the classic flavors of ham and mashed potatoes and infuses them with a smoky, sweet, and savory twist. The smokiness of the ham and the sweetness of the honey mustard sauce perfectly balance out the creamy and buttery mashed potatoes. And to top it all off, the rich and flavorful gravy ties everything together for a truly satisfying meal.
But don’t be intimidated by the idea of smoking a ham. With just a few simple steps and some delicious seasonings, you can create a ham that’s tender, juicy, and full of flavor. And the mashed potatoes and gravy are just as easy to make, giving you a complete meal that’s sure to impress your family and friends.
So why not give this Smoked Honey Mustard Ham and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy recipe a try? It’s the perfect dish to serve for a special occasion or simply a cozy night in. Plus, with the detailed instructions and tips provided, you’ll be able to create a restaurant-quality meal right in your own kitchen.
Whether you’re an experienced cook or just starting out, this recipe is sure to become a new favorite in your household. So grab your apron, preheat your smoker, and get ready to cook up a delicious and unforgettable meal.
Smoked Honey Mustard Ham and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy Recipe
- 4.5 lb boneless smoked ham
- Sweet preacher by fire and smoke
- Honey mustard sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt to taste
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced Chives
- Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and add cherry wood for smoke flavor. You want to ensure that your smoker is at the right temperature before you start smoking your ham. This will allow for the perfect balance of smoky and sweet flavors.
- While your smoker is preheating, prep your ham by scoring it about 1/4 inch deep, cut it crossways. Scoring the ham will allow the seasoning to penetrate the meat better, giving it a more intense flavor. Using mustard as a binder is a great way to ensure that the seasoning sticks to the ham.
- Once the smoker is at the desired temperature, place the ham in the smoker and let it smoke until it reaches an internal temperature of 125 degrees Fahrenheit. This process can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours depending on the size of the ham.
- While the ham is smoking, it's time to make the honey mustard sauce. In a saucepan, melt the butter and add honey, Dijon mustard, and smoked paprika. Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat until everything is fully combined. This will give the sauce time to thicken and develop a deeper flavor.
- At 135 internal temperature, sauce the ham with the honey mustard sauce. You want to make sure that the ham is fully coated with the sauce to give it that sweet and smoky flavor.
- Once the ham reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, remove it from the smoker and let it rest while you prepare the mashed potatoes and gravy. This step is crucial because it allows the juices to redistribute throughout the ham, ensuring a juicy and tender texture.
- For the mashed potatoes, boil the potatoes until soft. Strain them and use a potato ricer or the bottom of a glass to mash them. Adding butter, milk, garlic paste, salt, and pepper will give the mashed potatoes a creamy and flavorful texture.
- For the gravy, melt the butter in a saucepan. Once melted, add flour and stir constantly until the flour is golden brown. Then, stir in the chicken broth. Once nicely thickened, add garlic powder, black pepper, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper to taste. The gravy will give the dish a rich and savory flavor.
- Slice the ham as thin or thick as you like, and serve along with the mashed potatoes and gravy. Garnish with minced chives for added flavor and color. This step is the finishing touch that will elevate the dish and make it look even more appetizing.
We hope you enjoyed cooking and savoring this Smoked Honey Mustard Ham and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy recipe. As with any recipe, there are always alternatives and options to switch things up and cater to your personal preferences.
If you’re short on time or don’t have a smoker, you can still make this dish using a fully cooked ham. Simply heat it up in the oven and follow the rest of the recipe as instructed. This method will give you a similar taste and texture without the need for smoking.
In terms of ingredients, feel free to experiment with different types of mustard or honey to switch up the flavors. You can also try using a different type of wood for smoking, such as hickory or applewood, for a unique twist.
If you’re looking for a healthier version of this recipe, you can use low-fat milk or substitute it with unsweetened almond milk for the mashed potatoes. You can also reduce the amount of butter used or use a butter substitute.
And if you’re feeling adventurous, try serving this dish with some roasted vegetables or a fresh salad on the side for a balanced and complete meal.
At the end of the day, cooking is all about creativity and making a dish that suits your tastes and preferences. We hope this recipe has inspired you to get into the kitchen and experiment with different flavors and cooking methods.
Thank you for choosing this recipe, and we hope to see you back here soon for more delicious and inspiring recipes. Don’t forget to share your own spin on this dish with us and tag us on social media!
Leave a Reply